SNAFU

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 20:52:31 -0500

For those of you who don't understand the acronym... situation normal, all
effed up.

Have a problem with cleaning the BPT tube. Followed the extensive
information I found during a search.... even bought a gasket to replace the
one that gets torn on the EGR. Disconnected the hoses, unscrewed the
Phillips head screws, disconnected the bottom hose to gain access to the
metal tube... removed bpt to gain access. Engine was cold. Revved the
engine, no air coming out. Sprayed carb cleaner and let it sit for about 10
minutes. As suggested, I was going to clean the EGR while I waited, and
noticed I didn't have the proper tools... no ratchet or open wrench that I
have will allow me to get at the bolts, poo.

Anyway, pushed a 10 gauge wire into the opening, was a little difficult,
sprayed more, pushed more, yada yada. I did this for 1 1/2 hours, gaining a
little at a time. Finally got to a point where the wire wouldn't go any
further and the carb cleaner wasn't going down the tube anymore, just
running out the top. Undid some bolts on the side to try and maneuver the
tube a bit better to apply more force, no go. Went back today, and started
again... same problem.

I think that I've made the situation worse(thus the snafu) and really
created a bigger blockage. Any suggestions? I thought of an air compressor,
but I don't have access to one. Also, to get the bolts off the EGR, what
kind of offset wrenches should I buy?

Sorry this is soooo long, but I don't know how to ask a question w/o
describing the problem in detail.

Thanks,
Mark