Tranny Upgrade Survey

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:44:05 -0500

With regards to your message at 05:38 PM 6/25/02,
se-r-request@lists.deskmedia.com. Where you stated:
>From: "Thomas Reynolds" <fthomasr@bellsouth.net>

>Mike Kojima once wrote:

>[The P12 20V has the same Six-Speed tranny that is in
>the Maxima and Spec-V with an SR20 bolt pattern on the
>bellhousing.  This sucker has 100% more torque
>capacity than the current transmission.
>JWT currently has one and we are going to try to fit
>it up on my turbo classic to come up with a kit.
>Unfortunatly we don't have the time right now,
>probably later in the summer we will get to it.
>It will probably be somewhat expensive of a swap as
>the shifter is a cable type and the clutch is
>hydralic.  We are hoping that it can be sold for under
>$3500 as a kit which will include axles, mounts and
>linkages.]

>What I'd like to find out (in the interest of keeping this on the burner) is
>how many of you are interested in purchasing this when it's available?

>I'm definitely standing in line to buy it.

Hi Thomas,
at first glance this may sound good, but until some issues with that tranny
are solved I would not recommend it.
Problems:
1) first gear is WAYYYY to low. Most of us with a Spec V just launch in
2nd, unless we are starting on a steep hill or something. 1st redlines at
35kmh ( that's about 22mph for the USA crowd)
2) 5th is very hard to shift into under throttle. One has to lay off
throttle or go on a fishing and shoving expedition.
Understand that I don;t think it's garbage, but it is probably my least
favourite thing about the Spec V.
Now if somebody came out with a kit with s slightly taller 1st, and maybe
something to clean up the 5th gear upshift problem, I would be VERY interested!

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!