Need Rust Advice...

Bubbabgd7@aol.com Bubbabgd7@aol.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:23:12 -0500

  Hi,

   Just got around to removing the front fender to replace the door hinges.
Thought I'd tackle the slight rust in the seam between the door hinges at the
same time. After removing some of the seam sealer and loose rust scale via
fingernail I discovered a small amount of rust-through in the metal. Not
something I really expected in a car that has never seen road salt. So I
suppose I have a few options.
1. Use a wire brush/drill to remove more paint and rust and then treat with a
rust converter. Then paint body color with spray can. Definitely the cheapest
method.
2. Remove more paint and rust and then have a piece of steel welded in the
area. Rustproof the area. Then paint.
3. Have the section removed at a body shop and a new section welded in. This
seems like a fairly expensive choice as a lot of different panels meet in
that region.
  Option 2 seems the best compromise but only if the inside of the rusted
section is accessible for proper rustproofing after the welding. Anyone know
if that can be done or is it a closed boxed section? Thanks for replies,
suggestions, etc., on fighting the tin worm.

Alan