B13 parts prices soaring

Cameron Cavers Cameron Cavers <cameron@ualberta.net>
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:12:36 -0500

From: "George Roffe" <geo3@earthlink.net>
> "Sha-ken".....  Is that Japanese for shake-down? ;-)

Pretty much... I changed cars often enough that I only had to do it once,
but that was enough... about $900 US for them to tell me my car was ok for
another 2 years... and they don't even do a full mechanical inspection; I
had a transmission problem just a couple weeks later that they failed to
notice.

> You know, I've wondered why more Japanese don't keep their older cars (for
> the folks who have performance interests).  I mean, once the car has no
> value, why not just keep the car and turn it into a track car?

You need to prove you have an parking space before you can buy a car in
Japan, which is one consideration... the local police actually have to
visually inspect your parking spot to make sure it exists... so anytime you
want to buy a car, it':ll take about a week before you can drive it off the
lot!

Still, I do know a few guys who are working on an older 180SX as a
track-only car. It's still street legal, though... I guess real enthusiasts
do that kind of stuff, even in Japan.

> >By the way, George, I've met Edwen <...> I'm sure he didn't mean to
offend...
> Yeah, I'm sure he is.  I really didn't know how to take it and the way it
was written I was kind of shocked.  I'm sure it was
> just the lack of  connotation that comes with e-mail.  Edwen, no worries.

Yeah, all the guys I've met here in Vancouver are good people... except that
Raymond Fok, because he traded in his NX for a Prelude. :) (Just kidding...
Ray was even nice enough to drive me around all day looking at cars a couple
weeks ago.)

Cameron Cavers
Vancouver BC