B13 parts prices soaring

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:46:48 -0500

Komrade Cox wrote:

>I expect the prices to gradually increase over time, to reflect the cost
>of keeping slow moving inventory and inflation.  But what I'm seeing and
>bitching about is large and sudden price increases that appear to be at
>pre-determined time points and not tied to actual cost of maintaining
>inventories.

Price and cost are independent issues.

Supply and demand rules.  See, I *knew* you were a commie.  First you don't
like Shiner Bock and now you reject supply and demand. ;-)

>It really pissed me off with Toyota (15 some years ago) because so much of
>their claim to fame was longevity of their products.  BUT their parts
>pricing appeared to penalize customers that attempted to exploit that
>feature.

At least we don't live in Japan where they basically are forced to replace
their cars every 3 years and their old cars, in perfect condition, have
virtually no value.

All the ribbing aside, if you considered cost as the determining factor for
price, prices should never go up on parts that are no longer in
production.  Carrying costs of those out of production parts is factored
into overhead.

But I *do* agree with you.  I don't see any real justification for the
price increases for any parts that are out of production.  For parts that
are still in production, I'm sure the cost *does* increase now and then.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>