Hatch Supports - DENIED!

Scarpulla, Christopher [IT] christopher.scarpulla@citigroup.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:26:37 -0500

> From: Wayne Cox [mailto:wmc20@dnaco.net]

> AAARRRGGHHH!!!!  They were so close...  Just got this email
-snip-
> So I guess our options are back to:  1) big $$ from Nissan  2) wood
> stick  3) bruises on head

>    -Wayne

Wayne,

I have not followed this from the beginning, so excuse me if this
information has already been offered, or doesn't apply. I assume that your
hatch struts have lost their "oomph" and will no longer support the hatch. A
great temporary fix is to *gently* clamp a pair of ViceGrips to the strut
body (not the piston). Start with minimal grip, and increase the clamping
tension until it's tight enough to hold the hatch up, but loose enough to
allow you to shut it.

Why does it work? I do not know, but I used this on my 1st Gen RX7, and it
works like a charm. I think I may have read you can accomplish the same
thing with a tie wrap, which would be a much more elegant and inconspicuous
solution (black tie wrap, on black strut body). Heck if it works, I'd even
consider it permanent.

C (:-)