QR25DE Oil Consumption

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:26:29 -0500

>Subject: Re: QR25DE Oil Consumption
>Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:48:00 -0500

>JFormantes@aol.com wrote:

> > Whereas Mike said it is because of low tension rings....if they put this
> > thing to all QR25s this means we have an engine configured to BURN
> OIL...and
> > that's by design....Who knows maybe Nissan engineers really designed that
> > engine to be OIL EATERS!

>Um he just said it appears that the rings take a long time
>to seat.  5K to 10K.  He didn't say they did that on purpose.

>RK

If the QR25 is such an oil eater, then why  have I burned no detectable
amount of oil in over 5,500 miles?
The first 2,000 was on the original break-in oil, the remainder on Mobil1.
This has been 2/3 city mileage, including winter, with long idle warm-up
times ( I live in Edmonton, Alberta) and about 1/3 on the highway, on
weekend trips on mostly back highways, where I let the dogs out pretty
darned liberally. On the highway runs I mostly ran around 80+mph.
No consumption, nada, my oil is still clean-looking golden colour.
One of the service dept. guys at "The Dealer" expressed concerns about
running Mobil1 this early, but all I know is that after the change it revs
much more smoothly and quickly, and the engine is very responsive.

My $0.03 worth..

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!