Leaking waterpump question....

Erik Halvorson hammer_down@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:10:38 -0500

Brent, Change the pump ASAP.  This is what my H2O pump was doing (@180k)
just before it puked.  The seal is wearing out and you can probably bet the
bearing/bushing is fairly worn too so the problem will only get worse.  Mine
failed catastrophically on the freeway in 90 degree weather with my wife
driving the two kids around.  Completely cooked the engine.  18 months later
I had talked my wife into the DET and had it all together and terrorizing
the locals with it.  I beleive the pumps for the DE and BB-DET are the same.
  I replaced my DET pump with a new one just to be safe.  I used a DE pump
because when comparing the two used ones they looked the same to me but I
can't say for the GTi-R pump.  THe oil pump is obviously different which
requires a different front cover but not sure about the H2O pump.  Best set
is to take it out and compare it with a DE.  Bring along some calipers and
maesure the Depth and Diameter of the impeller wheel...