HS Header probs...

Chad E. Savoure savsport@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:26:28 -0500

Hey Tom,
Yea, my mechanic friend has a stethiscope type deal, too.  The noise is a
"hiss", which my mechanic believes is an exhaust restriction problem, or
something in the way of the flow.  The noise doesn't occur at idle or while
revving the engine, it occurs under load at around 2200 rpm - 3000 rpm,
primarily after the transmission decides to shift into a high gear while
cruising around town in that rpm range (it's a slop-o-matic tranny).  All
other noises that occurred after the install have been fixed (such as
buzzing and rubbing noises from the hangar at the cat), the hissing noise is
all that remains.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Tom Paule <tapaule@yahoo.com>
To: "Chad E. Savoure" <savsport@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: HS Header probs...
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

How did you guys check for the noise? I have a special
"stethiscope" for looking for exhaust leaks. I bought
it at a parts store, and it has hoses coming from the
ear pieces then a solid metal rod. I just removed the
rod and use this to find leaks, as they becove very
pronounced when they pulse air into the tube.

HotShot doesn't contract out their flex pipes per say,
they do buy them from the same company that makes
flexpipes for other header mfgs (like DC Sports).

Tell me more about the noise. Can you hear it at idle?
It is at slightly higher RPMs, and the car had to be
in gear (you can't rev the car to hear it)? Does it
sound like cards being shuffled, or is it a metallic
chirping - almost like a vibration or something
rubbing?

Tom