"Old Timers"

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:13:13 -0500

Fellow  newbies, peanut gallery, or ingrates.... do not piss upon(notice
that I'm not saying piss off) the old timers. Already, in just a short
period of time(3 weeks), I have gotten useful information from plenty of the
experienced members on this list.

Some things that might help you get a response:
1) When you ask a question, let people know that you've exhausted your
research options. Also let them know what keywords or whatnot you've tried.
All the oldtimers have been where we are now, at least to some extent. Show
some respect... you'll get a better/fuller response.

2) Sharing knowledge is contagious... especially in this group. It's not
always about getting information, but also inputting information that you
have into the archives.

3) Despite 1 & 2, sometimes you won't get a "timely" answer, or the answer
you wanted... c'est la guerre.

I'll use myself as an example... to an extent anyway.
I joined this mailing list even before I had purchased my car('91 SE-R). I
had already done what I thought was thorough searches, and sometimes I found
my information, sometimes I didn't. But, at least half the time, using the
above criteria, I got a full response from our more experienced brethren.
Half the time, I do not... but it's because I'm not asking a question.
That's right, I'm actually just throwing stuff that I've done or noticed
into the archive. If it gets a response, cool beanos. If not, maybe someone
else(a future newbie) will find the information useful.

Short version of this: Think of the oldtimers as a set of teachers, do your
homework... get a passing grade.

Later,
Mark