Cruise control problem

Scott Herstad shersta@ilstu.edu
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:53:03 -0500

Louis wrote:
"I drive a stock 1993 NX2000 with about 63K miles on it. While driving
school yesterday, I set the cruise control for 75 mph. Then, about ten
miles
out of town, the cruise control disengaged on its own. The cruise
control
power light on the left panel of the dash stayed on, but the "Cruise"
light
in the gauged cluster went off."

Louis,
Just a guess here, but have you recently adjusted your brake pedal's
freeplay? If so, you probably set the pedal too high and now it's making
contact with the kill-switch (which disengages the cruise when you step
on the brake). This happened to me. You may be able to check if this is
the culprit by using the top of your foot to lift _up_ on the brake
pedal the next time your cruise goes out. If that doesn't work, then you
really don't have any  recourse other than whipping out your trusty FSM
and multimeter and going through the diagnostic procedure. If you don't
have a FSM or multimeter, you now have a good excuse to buy them. Good
luck.

Scott
'93 classic