Smog and timing

Ben Baird ben@polycore-usa.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:29:04 -0500

After dismantling and cleaning the emissions stuff I went to get a smog
check today for registration.  I replaced the EGR tube and BPT valve (EGR
tube was replaced with new and BPT was replaced because it was leaking).
Idle is better and the hesitation between 3200-4000 RPM is gone now.

Idle    Limit    Result
HC        220     82
CO%    1.20    .03
CO2              14.90
O2%               0.5
RPM               805

2500    Limit    Result
HC        220       45
CO%    1.20      0.21
CO2                14.90
O2%                 0.4
RPM                2610

Everything seems to be running good, I am pleased with the results of the
199K motor.
Next comes a Blackstone Labs oil analysis (fingers crossed).

My question is can timing be changed without going into timing lock mode?
To be more specific I used my dial back timing light with RPM meter to set
timing and idle speed before the smog test.  While doing this I etched the
distributor and head for both 10* and 16* (JWT ECU).  I used 10* for smog
test.  Now since the ECU uses a set reference point for idle and timing can
I make the physical change at the distributor to set back to 16* without
going into timing lock mode.  I know there will be an idle speed change with
the more advanced timing, but it should not be too much.  Is this ok or must
the setting procedure be followed.

TIA for responses,
Ben H. Baird
'91 SE-R