knock knock knock

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:39:54 -0500

"hlava" <lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Oh well, time to order the bushing set from ES, and start my research on
>what to do with the balljoints

Not much to say on balljoints other than this: MOOG K9449.  At least that's
the pn for my '92 classic.  Comes with the boot, and a grease zerk fitting
to.  $35/ea or thereabouts.

Thank you - George - for locating that part number.  At least I think it was
you.  Sure beats buying new arms.

When you have your control arms out - do the balljoints.  You'll need a BFH
(big ferrous hammer) and a large external snapring pliers.  Remove
snap-ring.  Support end sides of control arm over vice jaws, pair of bricks,
bedrail of neighbor's dead ford truck etc.  (nice to have two people - one
to hold the arm and the other to BASH).  Point old ball-joint stud upwards.
BASH old balljoint out of arm using BFH.

Or if that is too uncouth you can use a press if you have one.  I don't have
one so I used the hammer.

Now get the new balljoint, place in hole in the control arm.  Hold arm over
same bricks or jaws etc.  Using a pc of pipe or perhaps a large socket-
press/hammer the new balljoint into the arm.  Keep going until you can get
the new snapring on.  Screw in the zerk.

You will need to locate an appropriate pc of pipe or socket to allow you to
press in the new balljoint. Can only press the new joint arouond it's
perimeter otherwise you'll stave it in and have to buy another.

Once the arm is back on the car - pump in a bit of grease and you're ready
to go.

I could tell my original balljoints were ready to be replaced.  Once I got
them out I could shake them like a rattle... :)

I'll let you search the archives / sites for the great sleazy trick I used
to remove the control arm bushings (I'd tell you but I honestly don't know
where it is).  Probably search for "control arm bushings arcstarter".  I
might even mail you the custom tool if you ask nice and pay postage...

-Bill
'92 Classic w/ lots of old looking parts on it