knock knock knock

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:11:20 -0500

Okay, I now have 3 out of the 4 motor mounts replaced. The front(passenger
side,OEM part), and the 2 torque mounts(with ES inserts). Only have the
back(driver, OEM) to put in and will do that Friday after work.

But, after nearly killing myself trying get the bolt to line up on the rear
torque mount.... I finally had to give up on it. I busted my butt for 3
nights, almost getting it lined up but never quite close enough to thread
it. At one point, I had 3 jacks under the car trying to move this, raise
that, and lower something else... just not enough hands. Could get a screw
driver through the hole, but not the bolt. Finally just bolted everything
back in real tight and carefully drove the car to a locally recommended shop
and had them do the maneuvering dance themselves. Glad that it's over, even
if I'm not the who finished it.

Engine now has minimal movement and no odd clunk when switching into
reverse. But, underneath the car, every once and awhile, there is a hard
knock or rapping sound. I can feel it in the floor board a little bit, and
it sounds like some of it may be coming from the front right side. Is this
to be expected because of the stiffer mounts? Or do I need to get the last
mount(back/driver side) in, inorder to correctly balance the engine
distribution? Since I'll be under the car Friday night, I'll definitely be
looking for something loose.

Any hints or ideas about what this dull knock is and what, if anything, I
should be looking at while I'm under the car would be fully appreciated.

Thanks for all the past help,
Mark

PS. Reading all the other questions and ideas on the mailing lists has
started giving me ideas for my car.... ideas that I probably shouldn't
afford. Until now, I used to think that I would only upgrade items after the
original had worn out or broken.... yeah, right.