traffic ticket in a parking lot, VA readers be careful!

Wayne Cox wmc20@dnaco.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:21:38 -0500

At 10:02 AM 6/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I get a reckless driving (6 point) ticket for backing up.
>I even asked the cop, "this is a point ticket and I am on private lot? how
>do you get a traffic ticket when you are not on the street?"

Wow!  That sucks.  When I lived in Ohio, I know they had a separate
citation for "wreckless operation on private property."  You can probably
beat it, but likely will need a lawyer (worth it for a 6 pointer.)

During one of my many traffic court appearances in my young days, I heard a
judge bitch out some guy over a W.O. citation - "Son, Do you know the
meaning of wreckless operation?  It's willful and wanton disregard for
public safety or property."  That stuck in my head, and I used it later to
beat a W.O. myself.  I had gassed my Supra going around a corner, and
produced some tire squeal, which earned me a W.O. ticket.  I repeated that
definition in court, and argued to the judge that while what I did was
obnoxious, and not in my best judgement, it did not present any danger to
people or property.  He agreed and threw out the W.O. and gave me something
like a "disturbing the peace" which was zero points, and only $40.  Maybe
you can pull something similar.

   -Wayne Cox