Ingalls Engineering adjustable parallel link

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:05:29 -0500

"Crandall, Alan" <alan.crandall@intel.com> wrote:

  > do you only need the front link to be able to adjust camber
  > because you can use the adjustment on the rear link intended
  > for toe to adjust camber in conjunction with the adjustable
  > fron link?

Exactly. I received confirmation on this from Ingalls. If you want more of a
camber adjustment (using the toe adjustment in the OEM rear with an Ingalls
front link will get you +/- 1 degree camber adjustment), use two Ingalls per
side, front and rear.

  > Any problem you're aware of with using a poly bushed adjustable
  > front link with the factory rubber bushed rear link?

I have ES bushings all around, so I cannot speak from experience. However, I
would be concerned that the rear would have a tendency to toe-in slightly under
load (the rear OEM bushing would give compared to the front poly bushing), which
isn't that bad really - my track alignment gives the rear a little toe-in
anyway. You could compensate for this tendency by giving the rear 0 toe, knowing
it'll toe-in a bit as the bushings deflect under load.

  > Any idea if you could use the ingalls adjustable link in the
  > rear position as well as front i.e. all 4 rear parrallel links?

Yes, you can - see above. Total cost per side for 2x Ingalls would be about $90
(including bushings) from the distributor previously mentioned. I don't know
what OEM links go for.

  > Do you have any idea how they compare for strength with the
  > factory links?

I have no data at all to support this, but I reason the Ingalls to be much
stronger. The stock links are basically folded or stamped sheet metal in an
inverted U-shape and are relatively easy to twist. The U-shape gives the link
some strength, but not compared to the tubular steel links from Ingalls. The
bearing housings at each are probably similar in strength between the OEM and
Ingalls links.

  > I probably should have posted to the list...

No problem, I've cc'ed the list so this info can be archived. Hope this helps!

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss