Oil Temperature

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:58:04 -0500

"Omer Farooq Khan" <ohmfab@comcast.net> wrote:

  > ...wondering what some typical oil operating temps were.

>From my pan-mounted VDO electronic gauge, I'm getting 140f-180f during winter
months, around 180f-200f during typical summer days (low to mid 70s ambient),
and 200f-210f during warm summer days (low to mid 80s ambient). Hot summer days
(high 80s to 90f) may go as high as 220f or so with in-town driving.

All temps are after the car's warmed up (coolant at normal operating temps,
engine running & being used for 20 minutes or so). The engine runs cooler during
highway driving than stop & go in-town driving. Temps are taken with Redline
10w40, a 50/50 antifreeze mix and Water Wetter, and the Nissan Motorsports
radiator with the 1.2atm cap.

On the track however, I see slightly different temps. <g>  On cool days (60s) I
run around 250f after 30min of track time. On warmer days (70s - 80s) I've seen
as high as 280f. The highest I've seen is close to 300f after 30min in 90f+
heat. This past weekend, which was on the cooler side with ambient in the highs
around 60f, at Mosport I was running 250f-260f after 30 minutes on the track
(passing everything in sight, I might add, some cars twice in a session!).

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss