oil filter relocation

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:39:27 -0500

sean mcmahon <badahab@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Im for an oil filter relocation kit for my 97 200sx se-r.  I need to know
>what size to get.  Im guessing its either 18 or 20mm x 1.5 but I just dont
>know.

I don't remember, but I do know it's in the archives for certain.

>Eventualy id like to throw a cooler in there too

No you don't.  Oil coolers, even using a T-stat, are not a good idea in a
water cooled road car unless you have a turbo.  Even then, the water/oil oil
cooler like on the BB DET would probably be your best bet.  The oil gets *too*
cool.  You want whatever water is in the oil to turn to steam and get
evacuated from the system.  If the oil is too cool it can condense inside the
engine and lead to problems.

Well, I should actually elaborate a *bit* more.  Some cars are designed to use
the oil for cooling more than others.  The SR20 does not.  But, many German
cars do (such as even the water cooled NA 944).  You don't need one for an
SR20.  Other cars?......

George Roffe