OT: Re: MY New Spec V- NON SER (95 ford truck with 5.0 conversion

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:21:26 -0500

Its311Pete@aol.com wrote:
><<I'm sorry but if this list turns into a dead ford discussion group - I'm
>outta here...  I don't have time for that. >>

>I believe this gentlemen started the subject line out with " NOT SER
>related"   There is a delete option on every e-mail.

There is also a SEND option, and with it comes responsibility.  He knew it
didn't belong on this list but he sent it anyway for whatever reason.  Fine,
I can't prevent that, but I can voice my concern.  How many members on this
list had to 'just delete' it?  700?  800?  How much time was wasted?  Who
likes deleting spam?  I certainly don't.

>I believe this list is here for our cars, but I also believe in helping
>others if I can.

That point has been made by many before you.  I've helped many on this list,
and will help many more.  I urge you to continue to do likewise (much as you
have done for Mr. 5.0), as it is a sign of a civilized society and is a
generally neighborly thing to do.  But this sort of thing has happened
before ON THIS VERY LIST.  It's a slippery slope.  The post I flamed had NO
SE-R or Nissan content in it!  Did he say he had sought help anywhere else
or was this just an easy place to take a stab at it?  Did he try the Honda
lists too?  They might be able to help as I'm sure there are some fellows
over there just as smart as in this bunch.  I believe there are one or two
Honda and Ford groups on the 'net these days.  Do I want to subscribe to all
of them?  No.

Sure I'm in favor of helping a guy in need.  Did he indicate what techniques
he had tried to isolate the problems?  No.  Even worse I'm pretty sure this
was the second post (after no initial response), for essentially the same
issue, and I'd had enough of it.  I'll help the hell out of a person in need
and willing to try.  These are the characteristics I look for in a post
before I respond.  However I *refuse* to give out any free rides, and am
insulted by those looking for such.

Perhaps my viewpoint isn't perfect.  Maybe we should all look forward to
these occasional OT postings, since each one does provide the opportunity to
help somebody else, or to learn some new tidbit.  But I predict soon we'll
have a few hundered questions each day about the 'best' sparkplugs, the best
engine oil, magnetic fuel separators, tornado air turbulizers, why plastic
is 'better' than metal, lawnmower repair, why the Reds are 'better' than the
Yankees, weed wackers, how to bake a perfect cake, how to buy cheap stocks,
real estate, sources for artificial animal antlers, roof repair questions,
how to pick lottery numbers, where to get free porno passwords etc.  Sure
the first few OT: posts will have a clever SE-R-related sig block or such,
but eventually even this won't be needed.  Yes there will be a few
dissenters too.  Meanwhile the CORE SE-R FOLKS will have had enough and will
have long left the group (or will start new, more focused / moderated lists)
because of the degraded signal to noise ratio.  It has happened before.
Some longstanding members of this list are GONE, or never reply anymore and
are available only if you know who they are.  These people have valuable
information which is now unreachable for the rest.  Why?  In part due to
ridiculous OT postings.

I believe the focus of this list is intentionally narrow.  In my opinion
anything else is just spam.

Sorry for wasting people's time but I'm saying something before more damage
is permitted.  I don't want this list to lose more valued members in
'exchange' for OT'ers.  I'm playing my "One Free Rant Per Year" coupon on
this one...

-Bill
Been on this frickin' list for ~6 years?!
'92 Classic AND a whole PILE of OT problems I never post to this list
</soapbox>