Fuel Pump (was "nipple Clamps/fuelpump info)

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 09:35:10 -0500

Rob Morrison wrote:

>Unfortunately over here in Oz, Nissan want
>aus $456.00 for a new pump. Bollocks to that for sure!

YIKES

>So, questions are: Is it fix or replace?, is there a 'cheaper' alternative
>to replace?

I don't know that you can really fix it.  In The States we have some
aftermarket options, most notably the Walbro.  In fact, I saw one on eBay
the other day.  Do a search in eBay Motors for "SE-R" and you should find
it OK.  IIRC it was around $90US.  That might be the easiest route.

>Also if I can squeeze one further ques in, (George?) I realise that the
>fuel pump "primes' the engine etc... on startup, what role does it play
>after that.

It keeps your fuel rail under pressure and your fuel pressure regulator
keeps it at the correct pressure.  Alter the pressure and you screw up your
fuel delivery.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>