SR20 Development (was: tranny)

Robert W. Rood rwrood@yahoo.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 22:49:47 -0500

> What are you having done?

They're going to cryo-treat/shot-peen the gears
and weld the case. I also have a bearing noise
that suddenly appeared after the JWT pressure
plate and single-side metal disk were installed;
Chris at SR20 Development claims it will be fixed
as well. The total price? $1055. (I'm sending
them the transmission intact, they'll tear it
down, "treat it," put it back together, and ship
it back.)

Now...here's the thing. Tonight I received an
e-mail (thanks, Ben) directing me to a long
thread on SR20DEForum regarding SR20Development.
And the crux of that thread is this: Several
customers of SR20Development have received subpar
merchandise (DETs with sludge, etc.), have
encountered poor customer service (unreturned
calls, no follow-up, etc.), and in some cases,
are alleging Chris at SR20Development is
knowingly engaging in egregious and illegal
business transactions. Now this came as a
complete surprise to me. I was under the
impression (mostly, I suppose, from the
considerable coverage in Sport Compact Car) that
SR20Development was not only THE place for
transmission work for high-HP applications, but
that it maintained a stellar customer-service
reputation as well. But after reading page after
page of complaints and horror stories from irate
customers, I'm (understandably?) reticent about
sending my transmission after all. Is this an
instance where a couple of bad experience have
been blown out of proportion or are there indeed
serious issues with SR20Development that need to
be resolved?

So - with all of this said, can someone (I'd LOVE
to hear Mike Kojima's input on this) shed some
more light on their experiences with
SR20Development? I think it would do all of us a
service.

Thanks all.

Regards,

Rob