Engine Hesitation (long and detailed)

Andy Makim makima@macewan.ca
Fri, 31 May 2002 15:54:38 -0500

This would be a question for you turbo Guru's as JWT is currently
indisposed. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, if even if you think
it sounds crazy, try me.

I've just recently put my car back together with a new manifold and turbo
and modified the wastegate for an external dump. (turbo charged NX2000 1991)

Parts listing here: http://geocities.com/makima_1999/Partslist.html

Last year JWT suggested to me last year the plug gaps were too wide and it
solved the problem lickety split when I gapped then down.

This time around, It still misfires, but the plug gaps are very small, idle
is just as it was before very good, but once boost comes on, the motor
stumbles.

I've only been able to muster up about 6 PSI. The EGT goes to about 11500
degrees F before I let off the gas and the motor just stops pulling. Right
at about 4 to 45k RPM. When I clutch in, it backfires abit. I know there is
a slight leak right where the downpipe mates to the turbine side of the
Turbo, other than that, it's quite solid.

I tried adjusting the FPR 3 PSI up and idles poorly, 3 PSI down, it pings
abit on startup when cold. Base PSI is roughly 53 PSI at idle with the
vacuum line off.

Prior to this, I had some old gas that was sitting in the tank for a few
months, since I emptied it, I've put kleen flo engine deposit control with
fresh 92 oct gas to no avail. I'm dumping a BG kit in tonight with a fresh
tank of gas.

Fluids are good, oil and coolant, coolant overflow bottle is nearly empty
after a long drive, but upto max line after a short drive.

Hopefully I have missed something simple and someone has a quick fix, but I
appreciate any ideas or suggestions any of you may have and am willing
to  take all and any suggestion to heart.

Last year I ran a 14.5 with this setup and have had no other changes other
than the ones listed.

I think that about covers it, please let me know if  any of you have any
other ideas or questions about my situation, I can always be reached by email.

Many thanks in advance for advice and assistance,

Andy.

'91 Turbo NX2000 <-Slow
'96 200SX SE <- Ecconomical
Competition Director for www.V8less.com