Motor Mounts

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:53:30 -0500

First, I'd like to thank those of you who responded to my question: Kieran,
Louis, Raymond, and Kenley... if I missed anybody, I'm going to blame my
lack of sleep.

I apologize for not jumping in sooner. As it was, I was actually putting the
cart before the horse. I was preparing to purchase an SE-R in Durham, was
pretty sure I was going to make the buy, but decided to ask the motor mount
question in order to get a head start. The car definitely needs the
mounts... groaning in reverse and at decel.

Been gone for two days and will now start assembling the necessary tools for
the task: Jack stands, extra jack(hydraulic) and the necessary tools to use.
I've also talked with Brian Kiser again. He had an interesting suggestion:
use the heavier duty mounts for the higher torque areas and use inserts for
the lesser.... sounds like a good compromise to me. I'd get the torque
response I want w/o having as much buzz or vibration.

While I'm under there, I'll also be changing out the tranny fluid. I've
heard a lot of good things about the Redline, but also some dissenting
opinions. I did see some excellent reviews on the Motul(sp?), w/o any
dissention, so I'll probably use that. Brian also suggested putting in the
Energy Suspension shifter bushings.

Looks like I'll have to order the JWT mounts, I've seen the Energy
Suspension inserts in a couple of different auto stores. Will have to locate
the Motul and Redline water wetter, also.

So, looks like quite a bit of work, but I figure since most of it will take
place under and around the engine bay, it would be better time management to
to it all at once.

Hope all of this bit comes with decent directions. Sorry that this rambled
on for so long... still have a major buzz from my trip.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions,
Mark