Rod knock?

Wayne Cox wmc20@dnaco.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:31:19 -0500

At 11:17 PM 5/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>i have this "clatter" in my engine.  When I pulled the plug wire closest
>to the passenger side(#1 or #4?) the noise stopped.  My mechanic

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  But I can about guarantee that you
have a bad connecting rod bearing.  It happens very easily if you let you
oil get low or neglect to change it.

On the brighter side, if you catch it early enough (ie - stop driving it!)
you can drop the oil pan and a bunch of other parts out the bottom and slap
in new bearings.  Less than $50 in parts, but labor intensive.  I've done
it successfully, as well as a bunch of others here.  Used import motors can
also be had for a few hundred $$.

    -Wayne Cox   Lots o' SR20s