Replace Motor Mounts or use Inserts?

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Tue, 28 May 2002 07:49:52 -0500

hlava wrote:

> I'm also curious as to when or why you should use inserts. I've
 spoken with Brian Kiser on a number of occasions, and he's used the
 inserts(Energy Suspension). Is there any reason or preference to do
 one over the other? I also understand that one of the mounts is liquid
filled. How would you use
> an insert on this?

Here's my take on this.  If you have the money just bite the bullet
and get the JWT mounts.  They are by far the best!  I will eventually
put them them on my NA car.  Throttle response is much better then the
ES mounts.  They hold a turbo quite well and also make shifts easier.
I barely notice *ANY* more vibration then the ES mounts.  The only
time it is more is initial startup when cold and that still is not very
bad at all.  Only bad part is they have to b1e pressed in.  But once
they are pressed in they go in just like stock mounts unlike the
ES mounts.

The ES mounts are okay if your stock mounts aren't trashed.
Throttle response is a little better ut not as good as JWT.  For
the most part they are easy to install because you just squish them
in by hand.  The the passenger side mount which is somewhat of a pain
because you have to get the old rubber out and the sleeve then press
in the new one.  Once that is done they are still somewhat a pain
because you are know squeezing the mount plus and insert into the
location that used to hold just the mount.  So you have to lube up
the insert to get it into place easier.  The first time I pulled the
cross member with the JWT mounts I was like holly shit that was easy
compared to the ES mounts.

The ES mounts can be used on broken stock mounts but they are not as
good as on mounts that are good.  My SE-R rattled like it had no
motor mounts before I put ES mounts on that car.  It got rid of the
rattles but it definitely didn't stabalize the motor as much as it
did on cars w/o blown mounts.

Again my vote goes for JWT mounts if you have the cash.  If not
go with the ES inserts.

> I've obviously never done this before and even though I'm not a qualified
> garage rat like most of you seem to be, I'm not unwilling or unable to work

I wasn't either but if you pay attention read the FSM the archives
and listen to those who do know you'll learn alot.  And even better
hook up with some other local SE-R guys in your area and they can
probably help you out.  You'll learn alot that way too.

RK
--
98 Sentra SE Turbo, 266whp
91 NX 2000 mostly stock