B13 Tsuru Tailights (David Doms)

Dave debunk606@attbi.com
Sat, 25 May 2002 23:13:38 -0500

>Hi list has anyone installed the b13 tsuru tailights? just curious if they
>are legal or how I could make them legal.
>Thanks

Here you go:  http://home.attbi.com/~debunk606/SE-R/sentra.html &
http://www.nissan.com.mx/

I was in Mexico last year and to my amazement, I found these Tsurus
everywhere, they were the main taxi car!  Everywhere I went, they were
there.  I found the Nissan dealership the next day and broke through the
language barrier with a lot of drawings and pointing.  In about 10 days time
I was at Nissan for about 4 of them, on and off.  Since I've never heard
about this car, I had to do all the research in Mexico, with an internet
stores and long distance calls!

In the end I purchased:
    -Tail lights (pair)
    -Headlights (pair)
    -Turn signals (pair)
    -Trim pieces (pair)
    -Grill
    -emblem
===================
total:  $468 US!!  <--------  : D

Nissan didn't know if it all would fit, but I took the chance and hauled all
this home with other Mexican souvenirs.  To date, I've only put the tail
lights on the car.  They installed just like stock, although be prepared to
purchase 3M strip-calk (part no. 051135-08578) to seal them properly.  When
you buy this stuff, make sure you get some remover like turpentine or some
3M remover stuff.  This gunk is a serious mess, you don't want to be
unprepared to clean it!

The tail lights are DOT approved and it's labeled inside each of the tail
lights.  You can see it clearly when looking at the lights.  Legal or not,
I'm not sure, they look totally stock, what cop would really know??  If you
weren't a Sentra geek like us, you wouldn't think twice.

I will be doing the front conversion within the next two months, right after
painting the car.  I've just lined things up, but to my knowledge, the frame
seems to accommodate everything just as OEM, with minor differences.  The
major problem with the conversion is that the electrical plugs on the lamps
(headlights and turn signals) are different.  I'm going to get it wired by
someone who knows what they're doing, but still kind of a pain.  Beaverton
Nissan in Oregon has me quoted at least $250 for the wiring.

There were only two people at the dealership who spoke English but they
weren't always there (just my luck).  They told me that Mexico is about 10
years behind on some of the models.  The 91-94 Sentra B13 body style was
still available there, the parts I got were for a 2001 Tsuru.  Take a look
at the font of the dealership, the old school (late 80's early 90's) truck
with the chicken coupe fencing was brand new!  What I didn't understand was,
they also had newer vehicles too.

If your interested, you can check out my pictures from the trip and at home,
of my SE-R.  I'll probably develop a real site about it soon when some of
the projects get wrapped up.  In the pictures, you can see the guy that
helped me at the dealership.

dave