Hoosier Tires

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 17:34:07 -0500

Matthew Kogan wrote:

>Everyone should check out this link.  It is very important for the survival
>of DOT Race tires.  Or at least it appears to be.

>http://www.hoosiertire.com/fmvsshlp.HTM

So what?  Oh God, what did people do before R compound tires?  It will
certainly not mean the end of racing on DOT tires.  It may mean the end of
Hoosier DOT R compounds.  At most it may mean the end of R compounds with
special carcasses.  Big deal.  If everyone loses a second a lap, is anyone
going to notice?

More likely than not, R compounds will survive, but what we'll most likely
have is R compounds of real street tires like the original R compound
tires, the Yokohama A008R.  I think this is being blown way out of
proportion.  I could argue that with Hoosier out of the picture the price
of R compound tires would go down since the manufacturers wouldn't need to
develop specialty carcasses for their R compound tires.

Just IMHO.  I think this is being overdone.  No big deal.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>