Please Help: Weird problem with car

Bruce Jackson bjackson@pobox.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 23:52:58 -0500

The other day I was accelerating away from a stop light.  When the tach
hit ~3500 rpm, the car fell flat on its face.  The car would barely idle
and sounded like it was dying (very weak exhaust noise and car's idle
was jumping around but would dive very quickly).  I turned the car off.
I checked under the hood and everything looked fine.  I started the car
up and the car idled properly and would be fine if I brought the revs up
to ~3500 rpm.  If the speed of the engine was kept under ~3500 rpm then
the car would run fine.  Once I brought the speed past ~3500 rpm the car
would fall on its face and start to run terrible.  It does not matter if
the car is moving or out of gear and I increase the revs.

I have checked the TPS voltage and actually rewired the TPS connector,
thinking that might be the problem.  I have checked the wiring to the
MAF and it looks good.  I pulled the plugs and they look fine.  I am
getting 16 lbs of vacuum at idle (~750 rpm).  It seems to be something
electrical, but I cannot figure it out.

If someone has any ideas, please shoot them my way, as I have a race on
Sunday and I need the car functioning properly.

BTW the car is a 1992 NX2000 with DET parts installed on the DE block.
Everything was running fine until this started.

Thanks,

Bruce Jackson
92 NX2000 with DET -- wounded
99 G20t