The Nylon tubing 'solution'

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:33:00 -0500

Justin B <fatnakedmidgets@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was just thinking about the 1/8" nylon tubing 'solution' for remotely
>locating your oil pressure sensors.

>When I first looked at it I thought it was kind of silly, now I'm thinking
>it's probably not a good idea at all. Oil can get relatively hot and run at
>high pressures. I doubt standard plastic tubing is rated to withstand
>either.

>I agress completely with relocating the sensors just as one less thing to
>worry about, but this is not the way to go. Make sure you use tubing
>designed to handle this application. AFAIK, that tubing is meant for water
>or air... at relatively low temperatures.

Actually, the nylon line isn't all that bad.  It's not "plastic" line in the
sense you might normally think of it.  It has been in use as brake line on
racing karts for a long long time.  In many years of racing karts I *never*
saw a nylon line burst.

They seem to withstand the heat rather well too.  Mechanical oil pressure and
oil temp gauges have been using these lines for a long time.

FWIW, I would be inclined to use SS braided lines, but not for the reasons you
mention.  I would have no qualms about the burst strength or temp resistance.
But, I'd want to protect the lines from other things that might cut them or
otherwise cause them to leak.  I also would rather do away with the
compression fitting.  They can be a bit tricky to get just the right pressure
to seal the line without deforming so much that they leak.

George Roffe

PS: your e-mail address is disgusting