strange steering noises

Eric Waterman sr20pwr@comcast.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 19:39:23 -0500

My sister's '91 SE-R started making strange steering noises this weekend.
Whenever she turns, the car makes a clicking sound.  I thought is was the
plastic fender liner getting caught in the spring.  I cut the liner around
the spring out, but it still makes that noise.  If you turn the wheels lock
to lock sitting still, it doesn't make the noise, but once you start to
move, the noise shows up.  It does it more on right turns, but some on left
turns also.  When I bought the car last October, I had to put a new driver's
side axle in.  I checked all CV boots, and none are torn.  The wheels are on
tight, power steering fluid is fine also.  I thought it could be wheel
bearings, so I raised the car, and shook the wheels, but they are tight.
Any ideas?

Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R