Nismo 1.5-way LSD info

Robert W. Rood rwrood@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:03:20 -0500

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Nissan Motorsports
regarding the 1.5-way LSD Mike Kojima told us
about yesterday. Apparently, this LSD is not new
is the strict sense of the word. It's been around
for some time but hasn't been in the annual
catalog until recently. According to the guy I
spoke with, the 1.5-way has a 36 ft-lb breakaway,
is clutch-driven, and as Mike indicated
yesterday, is going for $750. He also mentioned
the fact that these are available for those of
you who have the open differential (e.g. 98+
Sentras, G20s, etc.) That's great news for the
open-differential folks as the Quaife unit
requires you to purchase the viscous coupling
part in addition to the Quaife differential - a
very expensive combination indeed. I should also
mention one of the disadvantages Nissan
Motorsports mentioned with this unit: It's not as
smooth a unit as the VLSD we're used to: It's
somewhat "clunky" when switching from Reverse to
First and it makes slow turns a bit awkward. If
you've ever driven a 4 X 4, you'll know what he's
referring to.

So...with all of this said, here are the Nissan
Motorsports part numbers:

With stock VLSD: 38420RS365
With open differential: 38420RS360

Nissan Motorsports phone number: (310)538-2610

Thanks to Mike for bringing this unit to our
attention.

Regards,

Robert
http://www.rwrood.com/auto.html