sales weasels

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 07:53:45 -0500

Saturday I stopped by the local 'con men masquerading as a Nissan dealer' to
attempt to purchase those oh so hard to find parts for my rice burner. You
know these parts: throwout bearing, clutch disk, axle seals, the rare stuff
that never needs replacing. (At this point in the story, I'll leave out the
discussion with the very ignorant parts person with the customer service
skills on par with the average DMV employee.) Since they didn't have what I
needed in stock my wife and I decided to take a look at Nissan's new stuff
since we haven't yet.

I go up and look at a SER (non "V"). Sales weasel walks up, I look disgusted.
"Do you have one with a stick?" I ask. To which he replies: "No, the SER only
comes in automatic." Hmm, OK. "Well, do you have a Spec V somewhere on the
lot?" I ask. To which he gives the deer in the headlight look and proclaims
"There is no such thing, only the SER."

Almost fed up, I see a row of new Altimas and decide to look at a 3.5L altima,
and ask if he has "any 3.5L Altimas with a stick." He then responds: "They are
all 2.5L, there is no 3.5L Altima." When I point several out, he changes his
story, to: "Oh, that is the rare sport trim level, we just got that in."

At this point I have had enough, and leave. Went to the Infiniti dealership
down the road that is 1/2 the size of the Nissan dealership. They had every
part I wanted in stock. (clutch disk, throwout bearing, and axle seals). Of
course the prices were high, but I didn't care since I needed it "now". The
parts guy was nice, knew the correct parts, and we were on our way.

If Nissan wants to survive, they have to start doing a better job than this.

-Jay
93.5 G20
http://www.nx2k.com/G20/