Front axle

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Sun, 12 May 2002 20:29:36 -0500

"Ben Davis" <bendavis@sr20deforum.com> replied:

>>I am changing my passenger side front axle and the strut.  Any advise on
>>how to compress the spring?

>Rent a strut spring compressor from Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto/etc. You
>pay like $50 for them and you get all your money back when you return it.

A few points:

1) Be advised that you don't have to fool with the strut if you are just
replacing the axle.

2) You don't need a compressor to service the struts (w stock springs).
Remove the center strut nut with the strut on the car, w/o jacking it up.
Then jack up the car.  The spring's relaxed length is longer than the strut
stroke.  No spring compressor is required.

-Bill (fixin' only what needs fixin' at 150Kmi)