More Alternator Questions

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 18:04:04 -0500

"Winston Johnson" <plwq@hotmail.com>

> was only charging at 12.24 under load and that it has a bad diode. On my
> dash the ABS light comes on as well as my brake light as if my e brake is on
> the battery light is also on. When i drive the ABS light goes away but both
> the battery light and brake light stay on. If I go about 80 Mph the brake
> light goes off.

A good alternator should be putting out over 14 volts, so yes, your alternator
is dying.  In such a situation, the brake light will usually come on in our
cars.  It did on mine last month when my alternator died.
The ABS light might be coming on because there is not enough voltage to run
its control system while your car is running at lower RPM.
Buy a Nissan alternator, the rebuilt ones tend to die very soon.

Tim Rogers
-'93 NX2000 T-top
-'91 NX2000 SCCA ITS racer-to-be
-'75 Silverado tow vehicle