passenger side axle seal(inner)

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 16:52:35 -0500

Jonathan Pfeiffer <gtirsentra@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hi I was wondering if anyone had a problem with getting the wrong seal when
>trying to buy a seal for the passenger side axle on my 92 se-r?

Oh yes.  Dwayne Shelton here in Houston was changing his in my driveway a
couple of years ago and ended up with two (or was it three?) different wrong
seals FROM THE DEALER for God's sake.  I had to go upstairs and look up the
right seal in my fiche.  I don't think it's that hard to get the right part,
but the dealers seem to duff this all the time.

>The seal looks like it may be ok but it seems to be a bit bigger then old
>one..

Don't use it.

>Is it supposed to be hard to put in? as the old seal came out with my
>hands? how tight is the seal supposed to be against the case? Should it
>slide right into place or should I have to work it in there a little bit?

You should have to tap it into place using a suitable drift.  I usually use a
small block of wood - put the wood on the seal and tap the wood with a hammer.
This spreads out the force of the hammer and the wood cushions the blow
(albeit small).  Be sure to set the seal flush with the case and not push it
in as far as it will go - it will leak.

George Roffe