Changing the Receiver/Drier - related AC question

Darin Dux ddux@vermeermfg.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:55:19 -0500

It has been my experience that any system that has been open for a while
should have at least the dryer canister changed.  The desiccant in there
will pull moisture out of the air and saturate rather quickly from what
A/C guys have told me.  It's about $100 to replace.

The o-rings are always recommended to be replaced with new, and should
be coated with a light coat of mineral oil when installed.  I have
actually had luck re-using o-rings on occasion as long as they're in
good shape.  Time will tell.

You should be careful with A/C components when removing them not to
spill any of the mineral oil out.  Also the aluminum fittings are easily
cross-threaded or otherwise damaged so don't force them at all.  It's an
expensive fix.

You should find a good A/C shop and tell them everything about the
history of what's been worked on within the system.  They will then know
how to proceed and what to check on the system (add oil, add
leak-detection dye, etc.)

-Darin