Subwoofer location ideas....

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:33:40 -0500

Jonathan Hamilton wrote:

> Using this same technique you can put the speaker in the spare-tire
> well and I have even saw another SE-R that put them in the very back
> corners of the trunk, near where the jack is stored.

> > Hi all, now that my det project is almost complete i need a little
> > bass!
> >   I was thinking about putting a couple of 8 inch free air subs in
> > the
> > car-right behind the seats in the side of the car.

Okay, first off, all the frequencies you get out of a subwoofer are
omnidirectional.  The low freq waves are large enough to use your whole car
basically as a cabinet.

I'm not a fan of earthshaking bass, either, but I like the low to mid fill
you get with a sub.

Medium and High frequencies are progressively more directional the higher
you go, with the highest stuff you usually hear in music being VERY
directional, as little as a 70 degree field of influence (where you can
actually hear it)

You can actually test all these theories by turning your stereo on to a
reasonable (able to talk normally) level, and changing your X and Y position
in relation to a given speaker.

Z is considerably less important, you want to test the X and Y at 5,10, and
20ft if your doing this at home.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it doesn't matter WHERE you put your
subwoofer.  You'll hear/feel it.

That being said, I'm probably gonna tuck a small tube-type in the trunk,
maybe in the corner next to the jack, maybe in the other one, maybe stick it
in the top of the trunk, just behind the lid ... a spare is a good thing.
The sheet metal in the car will act basically like and extended cabinet, of
course everyone else will hear it too.. HEY - why don't you lower your car
like 6", get neon skirt lights, and we could go cruising ;)

Just kidding..

Good luck.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>