Motul 300 was(Re: Please Help with tranny fluid and filler plug)

Peter Jackson jacksopc@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:01:57 -0500

My tranny still shifts nicely.
I've been running it since just before the TX convention.
I was also concerned about the dual GL4/GL5 rating.

We know Mobil 1 is not for our trannys, it has ( from mobil1.com)

>extreme- pressure, limited-slip, sulfur-phosphorus additive package.

and is designed to run in hypoid limited slip differential cars.

>even under severe shearing in hypoid and other automotive gears.

Motul sent me the 300 white sheet, here are some quotes:

> STANDARDS: API GL4 and GL5 / MIL-L-2105D

> Extreme pressure, Anti-wear, Anti-corrosion, Anti-foam.
No mention of sulfur or phosphorus additives.
Mention of corrosion concerns having been addressed.

> All gearboxes and hypood rear axles without limited slip system.
That's open LS, we have sealed.
> For hypood rear axle with limited slip differential, use MOTUL 90 PA or HYPO
SYNT LS.
> Meets SAE 75W to 90 manufacturers' requirements.

Recommends using another Motul product for the typical GL5 application

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I've not had any problems out
side of a little seepage around the switches. Of course CMA, YMMV.

Peter J