HELP: Dashboard lighting/horn problems

Robert W. Rood RoodAwakening@msn.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:26:55 -0500

Greetings,

(Please respond directly to roodawakening@msn.com as I'm not on the
list.)

I've encountered a problem with my 1994 Classic SE-R that I am unable to
solve on my own. The problem is this: The dashboard illumination and
horn are no longer functional. I've scanned Nissan's Service manual and
can only find one wiring diagram which mentions the "instrumentation
illumination" but I simply don't understand the schematic. I should
mention several things about my SE-R. First of all, it no longer has the
factory steering wheel with the cruise control; it has a MOMO
aftermarket wheel instead (without cruise control buttons, obviously) so
the cruise control is now inoperable. From the day the MOMO wheel was
installed, the horn hasn't worked. That I can live with, but I need the
dashboard lights (and the lighting for the heating/cooling controls, as
those are out, too). Given the fact that ALL of the instrumentation
lights are out, it couldn't be a bulb problem, right? Instead, it must
be an open circuit (perhaps caused by the MOMO wheel installation) or a
fuse that's blown. But where's the fuse for the instrumentation
lighting? I can't find it anywhere. Everything else (e.g. headlights,
tach, speedo, blower motor, wipers, etc.) works fine.

Can anyone render assistance on this? I'd very much appreciate your
expertise.

Thanks,

Robert