Tranny Fluid? GL-4 / GL-5 WTF!!

Stefan Bauroth sbauroth@hotmail.com
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:57:56 -0500

Alright,
I went looking for manual tranny fluid the other day and all I can find is
GL-5 fluid! No one has GL-4!  I had sales people at 5 different stores tell
me that GL-5 supersedes GL-4 and is a replacement for it, and it's ok.
In another note, I found an old receipt from Jiffy Lube where I went to have
my tranny fluid changed back in 1998 and the receipt said "drain, and refill
with GL-5 gear oil"  GL-5!!! Does GL-4 still exist, aside from the expensive
synthetic brands? (which by the way everyone seems to have a different
positive and negative opinion about) I just want to get a basic,
non-synthetic, GL-4 gear oil.

Stefan Bauroth '92 SE-R