fuel pressure regulator

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:16:50 -0500

Alex <EEYORE5182@aol.com> wrote:

> it was brought to my attention that my bad gas mileage could be caused by a
> faulty fuel pressure regulator.  <snip>

Possibly.  Without enough fuel pressure, the fuel would not be atomizing
properly.  Too much pressure and it will run just plain rich.

> should i replace it with an
> aftermarket one?  how does the thing work anyway?

It measures manifold air pressure and makes sure that the fuel pressure is
X-psi higher than the air pressure, so that the injectors are always pushing
out fuel against the same relative air pressure.  It is purely mechanical, no
electronics to worry about.

  im pretty sure that once i
> know what to look for i can replace it.

Yep, its only held on by 2 screws at the end of the fuel rail.  It has a tube
that connects to a port on the manifold.  Look for it right next to the
throttle actuating crank.

> any of this make sense, or am i rambling?

This makes sense.  The FPR, MAF, TPS, ECU and O2 sensor are the biggest
factors in the mileage equation.  Especially if you are sure that your
ignition is fine.

Tim Rogers
-'93 NX2000 T-top
-'91 NX2000 SCCA ITS racer-to-be