GCs and Spring Rub

Scott_Higashi@el.nec.com Scott_Higashi@el.nec.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:41:04 -0500

ScreaminSER96@cs.com wrote:

"The other thing is worrying me much more-two of the top threads on the
collar are slightly worn in a small area, looks like it was from the
spring."

This really isn't something to worry about too much except for the noise.
Because the spring I.D. is 2.5" and the O.D. of the threaded section is
like
2.3" or so, there isn't much clearance in there.   If the spring compresses
slightly out of true it will rub on the threaded section.  You MAY be able
turn the spring on the perch to see if you can get it to stop, but there's
really not much you can do.  What you can try if it's really bugging you is
to take the threaded part off and cut it in half or so (assuming you never
want to run the perch up that high).  That way the part that the spring is
rubbing against is gone and all you have left is the 1.75" strut body that
it
won't get anywhere near.

Also, try putting a flat rubber donut on the spring perches (glue it down
with RTV for the upper perch).  This keeps the springs from shifting on
them
and keeps them from bonking as much.

Good luck,

-Scott