HotShot Header Installed

Brax Sisco xenex@chpl.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 03:35:23 -0500

I installed my G4 HotShot today, overall I would say the install was
pretty easy.  I had a garage break loose the cat/secondary bolts, for 5
bucks it was worth it.  I didn't have to loosen the back part of the
upper EGR tube, it took a bit of effort, but it bent back enough to pull
it out of the stock manifold and it went into the HotShot real easy.

One thing I did run into was the welds interfering with the washers,
which I read about in the archives.  The ones on both far ends I would
have had to practically cut into "U" shapes to make them fit, so I just
left those two off and put the bolts on directly.  It doesn't seem to
leak, I hope leaving those two washers off won't be a problem.

Performance-wise, I like it.  Car pulls like a monster now!!  But it IS
louder than I expected!   The deep throatiness/growliness I rather like,
but there is this other sound, and this is my question:

When at idle, or in gear at a steady speed, it is relatively quiet.  But
under acceleration (in any gear, and not just at a specific RPM) it
makes a sound like water running, or like a hissing, but sorta metallic
sounding.  The sound is not from the engine area, but either from the
cat area or maybe even from the exhaust itself.  It's hard to tell,
being in the car.

Does this sound like I may have a leak at the cat/secondary, or is this
the normal sound it makes?  My exhaust is all stock from the cat on
back.  I'd like to eliminate or lessen this particular noise, I find it
kind of irritating.

Brax Sisco
'97 200sx SE-R w/ G4 Header, JWT ECU + POP