DET problems

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:50:07 -0500

Chris Simmonds <chris@1320tuning.com> wrote:

>Some smoke enter the driver compartment by the pedal area but may be the
>old oil burning off.

I doubt it.

>White smoke out of the exhuast, clatter from the dipstick tube when
>removed, stalling when the oil cap is removed at idle....

Dude, you've got a serious problem with your engine.  Don't be driving it.  It
may be fixable, but not if you keep driving it.

I'm pretty convinced you've blown a head gasket, or a ring has gone bad.  You
definitely pressurized the block under boost (why the dipstick shot out).  I'm
guessing the reason it dies when you remove the oil cap is that it is taking
in unmetered air that is coming in through the cap and finding its way to the
intake manifold.

You could try replacing the PCV valve and see if that fixes your problem.  I'm
not terribly hopeful, but it's cheap enough that it's worth a try.

Are you still overheating?

George Roffe