Transmission Fluid Question

Vinson Mok vmok00@yahoo.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:36:07 -0500

Thanks.  I think I feel a littel better now.  I was going to go out and
drain the Coastal gear oil and fill with something else today too!

I know that some trans/gear oil says GL-5 and some says GL-4 and GL-5.
Apparently, from the technical pappers that I have read, GL-5 oil that's not
GL-4 rated can cause spalling of transmission/bearing surfaces.  That is
something that I am definitely concerned about as as bunch of guys on
www.maxima.org have had problems with spalling and their 5sp transmissions
in 4th gen A32 Maximas (spalling is the flaking of metal particles off of a
surface due to extreme pressures).

Was also reading how GL-5 has a specification for some protection against
certain pressures, and the way that is handled by some oil manufactueres is
through an additive that causes corrosion of brass syncrhonizers.

I don't think I've had any problems with the Coastal, but it's good to know
that someone else has used it with no problems as well!  I think on the
bottle, it's says for GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5.

-V

From: se-r-admin@lists.deskmedia.com
[mailto:se-r-admin@lists.deskmedia.com]On Behalf Of Stewart, Joe
(COX-Atlanta)
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 6:38 AM
To: jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Cc: se-r@lists.deskmedia.com
Subject: RE: Transmission Fluid Question

>Drain the fluid. That fluid will eat up your
>synchros in short order.

Actually the coastal stuff does not. I use it almost exclusively.

Rear end dope makes syncros look like this:

http://nx2k.dynip.com/thumbs/bad_tranny/index.htm

I don't have a pic online, but I do have several SR20DE trannies that use
the
Coastal fluid exclusively that are fine and dandy. Now the Mobil stuff is
read
end dope straight up and it will cause problems, but the COastal stuff
specifically I have over 100,000 miles on in SR20DE and GA16DE transmissions
and I know that it specifically doesn't cause problems. I wouldn't use it in
high HP turbo car, but for a NA SR20DE street motor it is fine.