Newbie question

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:31:27 -0500

>My problem with it is that the
>engine would make loud ticking
>noises from the top of it even
>when it is idling, running at any RPMs.

Pull the valve cover and check your cams and rockers. More than likely they
are worn.  You can check your cam oil tubes to see if they are clogged by
turning the motor over without starting it and with the valve cover off. You
should see a stream of oil hitting each cam lobe, if not, they are clogged. If
any oil tubes are clogged, it will damage the cam.

I think standard issue in any high mileage SR20DE should be a timing chain
tensioner and cam oil tubes.

-Jay
93.5 G20
(in pieces taking up the other half of my garage)