Trans Question

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:04:59 -0500

> If I use a 1991 Trans in my 1996 what all do I need
> do I need to get a new
> axle?  or should it work fine?

***You can use the 1996 axle, as it is the same length
as the 1991.  You just have to "tap" the axle until is
slides the rest of the way into the tranny.  Make sure
the splines are lined up in the tranny and hold the
end of the axle, making sure the axle is fairly
straight. Pull out a little and give a good ram toward
the tranny. Do this in a back and forth motion until
it goes in.

I jsut put the trans
> in and my Drivers side
> axle looks a litttle long?

***It's not too long. It is just the right length.

it wont go in all the
> way.

***Be patient. If you do what I said above, you will
get it in all the way.

Also
> will everything bolt up
> nice and smooth?

***You will also need to swap out the bellhousings.
The 1996 bellhousing has a hole in it for the magnetic
flywheel sensor thing, whereas the 1991 does not.
This sensor is located on the "front" of the motor,
very close to the lower radiator hose.

Good luck,

=====
Jay Whitely