pistons

Rick Frey rfrey@iupui.edu
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:51:44 -0500

At 02:23 PM 4/12/2002, George Roffe wrote:

>But Mike, *nothing* you talk about sounds rational.

>Sorry dude, don't mean to flame, but it's true.

Well, this isn't an argument that I would go to the mat on, but......

Ever since I saw Mel Gibson in one of the Mad Max movies, where he had a
supercharged v8 with a blower (yeah, where gas supply is hugely limited)
with an electric clutch on it, I thought, hmmm....  a blower that has one
ability similar to a turbo.  You can turn it off and on.  What a good Idea.

so, Here is Jez with the same thing.

He says it'll put out 11 psi maximum and he can defeat the drive to the
blower.  so, could an 11:1 compression ratio withstand 11 psi of boost
while the clutch is engaged?  I think it could with race gas and water
injection.  maybe even pump gas, water, and quench pads.

Properly tuned, I think it could work, so the idea is rational.  It should
have killer throttle response, etc.  Maybe a real good autocross engine.

Now, if you're gonna argue that the bearings will spin out of this engine
or, as tuned, it'll chunk off ring lands.......I won't disagree with you
there.  After all there is a track record.

slow day here in Indy,

rick frey