Timing Question

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:09:45 -0500

>I adjusted my timing last night using
>what I've seen referred to as the Mike K. method (warm up, pull TPS w/ it
>still running, adjust, plug TPS back in).

Dunno why this is being called the Mike K method all of the sudden, it is
actually the FSM method that has been published since, oh, about 91 or so. It
is in the archives I know and in the FAQ I'm pretty sure.

Regardless, you forgot steps. Once you pull the TPS, the engine HAS TO HAVE
the base idle set properly. If it does not, you are wasting your time until
you fix that. You have to rev the motor over 3000 RPM 3 times after unplugging
the TPS to get it into timing set mode. Also, the car has to be up to full,
normal operation temp WITHOUT the engine fans (or any other serious electrical
drain) being on.

-Jay
93.5 G20 (torn apart in garage again)