rocker arm bracket

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:23:30 -0500

Greg wrote:

>was wondering if anyone has used the tomei rocker arm bracket.  This
>bracket bolts under the cam towers and has legs that sit above the rocker
>to prevent it coming out at high rpm.

Actually, it bolts on top of the cam journal caps.  If you were to bolt is
under them, you would ruin the head and probably the cams since you would
no longer have precision journals for the cams to rotate in.

>As you all probably know, the sr is not the best
>engine for high rpm, without major work.

Gee, I think 7800 rpm is pretty good for a road car.  Better than most
production based race cars too.

>I have currently been revving my motor to 8000rpm, with so far no
>problems, but am hesitant to go further.

Do *not* attempt to rev further.  Actually the rev limiter will prevent
that anyway.  Above 8k and the rockers *will* fly off.  I don't know how
you are getting to 8k anyway since the ECU does have a rev limiter.  I know
Clark Steppler will not program that rev limit above 7800 rpm except for a
race car.  For the extra 200 rpm it's silly to eliminate that safety net
IMHO.  Hell, it saved my @ss at my first SCCA driver's school.  I came onto
the front straight at TWS in 2nd gear to get a jump on some squirrels in
SRX-7s and Spec Miatas.  All of a sudden the engine was cutting out and I
thought I broke something.  Looked down at the bouncing tach.  Oops -
"shift @sshole!"
<VBG>

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>